Technician, Cell Culture
Are you a scientist who knows cell culture? Do you want to change the future of food?
At Future Fields, our mission is to unleash the full potential of cellular agriculture.
We create growth factors for the cellular agriculture industry. These are vital components of cell growth media - the liquid nutrients used to grow lab grown meat, milk, leather, and more. The cost of cell growth media remains the biggest barrier to commercialization for cell ag companies. Our bioreactor-free technology reduces the production cost of lab grown meat by up to 90%. In other words - our products let cell ag companies commercialize products at high volumes and competitive price points.
We’re fueling the next agricultural revolution.
At Future Fields, we are continually learning and evolving. We know we don’t have all the answers, but we try to ask all the questions. We believe in “failing forward” and leveraging our mistakes to help us grow. We never want our team to feel constrained by the status quo and we don’t judge ideas based on where they come from. We actively work to foster a culture of collaboration, innovation and psychological safety through transparency, structure, and open communication. We know it sounds cliche, but every employee really is a valued and equal member of the Future Fields team.
Come find your purpose with Future Fields and change the future of food.
We are a young and rapidly growing venture backed startup (with support from awesome investors including Bee Partners, Y Combinator, and Pioneer Fund). Joining our team now means you’ll have the opportunity to shape our culture and products, to lead others, and to influence the direction of our company. Perhaps most importantly - you’ll be joining a team that is genuinely energized by this work and the meaningful potential of cellular agriculture to change the world.
About the role
The Cell Culture Technician will directly support Cell Culture Team Lead Brittany on cell culture experiments and work closely with our VP of R&D, Avi, and the rest of our quickly growing Research and Development Team. The technician will attend weekly science and all-hands meetings and participate in collaborative discussions on Future Fields’ R&D strategy, product roadmap, and business goals. This role is vital in removing a huge bottleneck in our current process - demonstrating just how great our growth factors are so we can ramp up sales faster.
This role will own conducting cell culture experiments related to testing our growth factors including proliferation assays, cell viability, and other metabolic tests. This may extend to other tests including immunofluorescence for specific cell markers or various ELISA tests.
This role will assist in designing experiments and general cell culture maintenance. The outcome we are trying to achieve is demonstrating the safety and efficacy of our products - how we accomplish that is constantly evolving. That’s where you come in!
This role requires some cell culture experience. A basic understanding of cell culture technique and sterile technique are important. No specialized expertise is required, but we guarantee you will pick up a great deal of expertise in this role.
You are curious and excited to grow your knowledge and technical skill set. You like to ask questions and learn new things. You pay attention to details, you love protocols, and you understand the vital importance of sterile technique in cell culture. You’re the scientist who proudly wears your lab coat every day, not just lab inspection day. We have several cowboy scientists on the team - we need you to rein them in with your scientific rigour and deep appreciation of aseptic technique.
- BSc in Biology or related field (or equivalent combination of experience and education).
- One year of practical laboratory experience
- Solid foundation of the basics of cell culture and basic sterile techniques
- Experience working with mammalian cell lines and/or myoblast lineages
- Experience with western blotting, qPCR, PCR, or immunofluorescence
Your future (with Future Fields)
- Within 1 month, you will begin testing at least one growth factor in culture, alleviating the strain on our internal testing capability. You will support senior scientists with growth factor testing and gain confidence towards running your own experiments. You will have a foundational knowledge of our platform and understand the key metrics of our testing program.
- Within 3 months, you will be performing your own experiments and tests independently. If a senior scientist develops an experiment, you will comfortably carry it out yourself.
- Within 6 months, you will confidently develop your own experimental methods and carry them out in consultation with the cell culture team lead.
- Within 1 year, you will discover and develop new testing methods for analyzing bioactivity of new and existing growth factors in our pipeline that can be integrated into our process. Our testing capabilities will have to expand to make better products and you will be a part of that.
About our founders
Our story and approach to science is anything but conventional. Lejjy (co-founder/CPO) is a self taught entrepreneur who left home at 14, who worked his way up in the business world. Matt (co-founder/CEO) was a touring punkrock musician who dropped out of University before returning to complete his PhD in cell biology. Jalene (co-founder/COO) is a social researcher by training, previously working on issues from the right to affordable housing to harm reduction for injection drug users. The spark of an idea for our technology came from one of our founders (with no technical background) while waiting in line for tiny, Canadian donuts. We truly credit our diverse team and founder experiences as the key to our success - and we encourage candidates of all identities and backgrounds to apply.
Where is Future Fields located?
Our headquarters (office and lab space) is located in downtown Edmonton, Alberta, in a beautiful, freshly renovated warehouse. From the exposed brick to our rooftop patio - it’s not your average lab space. It is central, close to transit and bike lanes, and walking distance to some of the city’s best coffee shops, restaurants and Edmonton’s incredible river valley.
I don’t live in Edmonton. Why would I want to relocate there?
Because it’s great! For starters, Edmonton is one of Canada’s sunniest cities with 2299 hours of bright sunshine per year. It’s consistently ranked one of Canada’s most affordable cities to live in and was recently described as Canada’s most exciting culinary city. There’s a festival almost every weekend, North America’s largest mall and the longest stretch of urban parkland on the continent (over 160km of trails!). There’s something for everyone in Edmonton, and it will be even better with you in it.
Any other perks?
Many! Some include: equity in our company; comprehensive health, dental and vision benefits; flexible paid time off policy; and the office is always stocked with snacks and all the coffee you can drink.
Will I like working for a startup?
Great question. Startup life is definitely not for everyone. We move quickly. Projects and priorities shift fast. There is a lot of ambiguity and uncertainty at times and we’re not immune to the growing pains of an early stage startup. You could also probably get paid more somewhere else. The risk is high, but so is the reward. We promise you will never get bored. You will have fun and learn a lot. You will grow personally and professionally in ways you never imagined (alongside our company). You will be part of something much bigger than yourself and contribute directly to the mission of a team who cares deeply about changing the world for the better. Oh, and equity!
Sound like something you are interested in? Here are the next steps:
Submit your name, e-mail, and a document with your resume and cover letter through the file submission below.
If it seems like a good fit, next steps will look like this:
- We will contact you for a casual 30 minute call with one of our founders.
- We will set up an interview with 1 founder and a member of the R&D team to dive into your skills and motivation.
- We’ll arrange another interview to figure out how you fit with our team and culture, and better understand your career trajectory.
- We will set up a coffee chat with you and a team member. This is your chance to dig in and find out what it’s really like to work for Future Fields. This is for you!
- We will speak with two of your references to confirm our assumption that you are, in fact, our next great hire.
- We offer you a job!
As only one file can be uploaded, please ensure your resume and any other related documents are submitted in one file using the following suggested naming convention: Lastname,Firstname_Cell