Future Fields is seeking a Production Technician with food prep and dishwashing experience.
At Future Fields, our mission is to unleash the full potential of cellular agriculture.
We create growth factors for the cellular agriculture industry. These are vital components of cell growth media - the liquid nutrients used to grow lab grown meat, milk, leather, and more. The cost of cell growth media remains the biggest barrier to commercialization for cell ag companies. Our bioreactor-free technology reduces the production cost of lab grown meat by up to 90%. In other words - our products let cell ag companies commercialize products at high volumes and competitive price points.
We’re fueling the next agricultural revolution.
At Future Fields, we are continually learning and evolving. We know we don’t have all the answers, but we try to ask all the questions. We believe in “failing forward” and leveraging our mistakes to help us grow. We never want our team to feel constrained by the status quo and we don’t judge ideas based on where they come from. We actively work to foster a culture of collaboration, innovation and psychological safety through transparency, structure, and open communication. We know it sounds cliche, but every employee really is a valued and equal member of the Future Fields team.
Come find your purpose with Future Fields and change the future of food.
We are a young and rapidly growing venture backed startup (with support from awesome investors including Bee Partners, Y Combinator, and Pioneer Fund). Joining our team now means you’ll have the opportunity to shape our culture and products, to lead others, and to influence the direction of our company. Perhaps most importantly - you’ll be joining a team that is genuinely energized by this work and the meaningful potential of cellular agriculture to change the world.
About the role
The Production Technician plays a key role in supporting our most important asset - fruit flies! Yep, you read that right. We farm fruit flies (in very well managed, sterile lab conditions). This is a full-time, salaried position. The key function of this role is to ensure our insect rearing operation runs smoothly so our Senior Scientists and Engineers can focus on meeting their critical milestones. This role will have varied responsibilities from preparing fly food and washing dishes to assembling and harvesting cages. Some evening or weekend work will be required at times. This role provides many learning opportunities across a diverse set of areas and exposure to the inner workings of a biotech startup.
The Production Technician will work closely with the Research and Development team under the supervision of our Engineering Team Lead, Erik. This role will attend weekly science and all-hands meetings and participate in collaborative discussions on Future Fields’ research and production strategy and business goals.
This role ultimately exists to care for and manage our fruit fly population. This role will own all day-to-day tasks associated with our insect rearing operations. You will be responsible for ensuring the flies are managed in a safe and sterile way. This work is often time sensitive and requires speed and time management. Specific responsibilities include:
- preparing fly food (from food grade ingredients). Experience in sauce/pudding making would be valuable, but not necessary. This is a time sensitive task that requires preparing multiple components in parallel to ensure consistency in food quality.
- disassembling and washing dishes (from fly food prep), fly cages and all component parts. Requires the ability to adequately sanitize, but also work at an expedient pace.
- assembly of specialized fly rearing cages. Highly repetitive task, but requires a high degree of focus, dexterity and precision to be done in a timely manner.
harvesting and tracking fly mass in a database. This requires basic data entry skills and to be done in a time sensitive fashion.
This role will also handle several secondary tasks, which serve as great opportunities to expand your practical skills. These include:
- helping to maintain a safe, sanitary, and clean work environment at all times.
- monitoring fly food supply to ensure quality and tracking changes in a database as required.
- monitoring and adjustment of cages for optimal breeding conditions.
- maintaining an active inventory of fly food ingredients and ordering to ensure an adequate stock of ingredients is always in hand.
It’s unlikely you have experience in insect rearing, but what you lack in expertise, you make up for with your enthusiasm to learn and tackle new challenges. You are reliable and observant with a good eye for detail. You aren’t afraid to ask questions and are open to learning new things. You are excited by the opportunity to join a fast moving team in a brand new industry, and you are interested in growing your career alongside our company.
- Physical ability to lift and pour with control from a 15 kg (35 lbs) stock pot is required
- Basic data entry and computer skills
- Dishwashing, food prep, kitchen or similar experience
- Knowledge of food safety standards
Your future (with Future Fields)
- Within 1 month, you will be proficient at all aspects of cage assembly, disassembly and sanitization. Be self-sufficient at maintaining the fly harvesting schedule and harvesting of flies. You will also be able to prepare and pour fly food.
- Within 3 months, you will be in charge of preparing fly food and ensuring sufficient amounts will be available each day. You are competent at swapping fresh food trays for feeder populations and will be performing this task occasionally on weekends.
- Within 6 months, you are responsible for the majority of food swaps for feeder populations and are able to assess when the feeder populations need to be replaced and identify any problems or inconsistencies with egg laying. You will also be responsible for ordering and maintaining fly food ingredients.
- Within 1 year, you will do all of the above and be involved in optimization and modification of fly food recipes.
About our founders
Our story and approach to science is anything but conventional. Lejjy (co-founder/CPO) is a self taught entrepreneur who left home at 14, who worked his way up in the business world. Matt (co-founder/CEO) was a touring punkrock musician who dropped out of University before returning to complete his PhD in cell biology. Jalene (co-founder/COO) is a social researcher by training, previously working on issues from the right to affordable housing to harm reduction for injection drug users. The spark of an idea for our technology came from one of our founders (with no technical background) while waiting in line for tiny, Canadian donuts. We truly credit our diverse team and founder experiences as the key to our success - and we encourage candidates of all identities and backgrounds to apply.
Where is Future Fields located?
Our office is located in downtown Edmonton, Alberta. It’s central, close to transit and bike lanes, and walking distance to some of the city’s best coffee shops, restaurants and Edmonton’s incredible river valley.
I don’t live in Edmonton. Why would I want to relocate there?
Because it’s great! For starters, Edmonton is one of Canada’s sunniest cities with 2299 hours of bright sunshine per year. It’s consistently ranked one of Canada’s most affordable cities to live in and was recently described as Canada’s most exciting culinary city. There’s a festival almost every weekend, North America’s largest mall and the longest stretch of urban parkland on the continent (over 160km of trails!). There’s something for everyone in Edmonton, and it will be even better with you in it.
Any other perks?
Many! Some include: equity in our company; comprehensive health, dental and vision benefits; flexible paid time off policy; and the office is always stocked with snacks and all the coffee you can drink.
Will I like working for a startup?
Great question. Startup life is definitely not for everyone. We move quickly. Projects and priorities shift fast. There is a lot of ambiguity and uncertainty at times and we’re not immune to the growing pains of an early stage startup. You could also probably get paid more somewhere else. The risk is high, but so is the reward. We promise you will never get bored. You will have fun and learn a lot. You will grow personally and professionally in ways you never imagined (alongside our company). You will be part of something much bigger than yourself and contribute directly to the mission of a team who cares deeply about changing the world for the better. Oh, and equity!
Sound like something you are interested in? Here are the next steps:
Submit your name, e-mail, and a document with your resume and cover letter through the file submission below.
If it seems like a good fit, next steps will look like this:
- We will contact you for a casual 30 minute call with one of our founders.
- We will set up an interview with 1 founder and a member of the R&D team to dive into your skills and motivation.
- We’ll arrange another interview to figure out how you fit with our team and culture, and better understand your career trajectory.
- We will set up a coffee chat with you and a team member. This is your chance to dig in and find out what it’s really like to work for Future Fields. This is for you!
- We will speak with two of your references to confirm our assumption that you are, in fact, our next great hire.
- We offer you a job!
As only one file can be uploaded, please ensure your resume and any other related documents are submitted in one file using the following suggested naming convention: Lastname,Firstname_sr